Oil Pan Guards

Hey Gang!!!

In AD #1175 Ascher writes of an unfortunate incident regarding his spider
and a rise in the road.
I can sympathize as this happened to me earlier this summer. As Ascher, my
oil pan was damaged and the hood dented.
I am a little confused though, as to the effectiveness of the oil pan guard.
I did not have an oil pan guard on my car, so the lower oil pan was
literally ripped from the upper one. I had to replace both pans. In Ascher's
case, it seems only to be the lower pan, but shouldn't the oil pan guard
have protected him from this type of damage?
I ask this because I am in the process of ordering an oil pan guard, only it
doesn't seem to protect the spiders from this type of incident.
Are they ineffective or is it just my imagination?
Has anyone ever 'beefed' up the oil pan guards to add increased protection
from these accidents?
It seems too common an affliction to not have an effective solution!!!

Worrying and wondering out loud,
Frank Forlini
74 Spider