Re: High Milage Milano problems

Ted Williams wrote:

>My Verde ran into trouble last night. I was doing turning around on the
>street last night, put the car into reverse, and backed up, then put it into
>1st to go forward, and there was a weird shuddering all of the sudden. It
>hadn't been shuddering up till right then, and I had just gotten off the
>freeway. I parked the car, and didn't think much of it, because the street
>was pretty wet, and covered with leaves, so I thought the tires might have
>slipped on them.
>
>I later got into the car, to go home, and it started with a weird shudder
>now. So now I realized something was wrong. It feels like the driveline, but
>I had the donuts replaced last March of 98....so that's not long ago. Then I
>thought maybe something was up with the clutch...but that was done just last
>June. I suppose it would be either, but I don't know what else to look at. I
>haven't gotten under the car yet, I wanted to wait till this afternoon.
>
>On the way home, it would shudder really bad, under acceleration, but once i
>got it up to a steady pace, it wasn't really shuddering at all...until I
>pressed the gas, then it would come back. Any ideas? What happens when a
>motor mount goes bad? I haven't checked those in a long time. Thanks, Ted

	Marathon lurking period over, here's something I might know the answer to..
	It sounds to me like you've done the differential. This happened to my
Alfetta GTV following a carpark ramp incident. I'm not sure how much they
beefed it up on the Milano or how it would be different being an LSD, but
the symptoms sound exactly the same. Put the car in neutral, jack up the
rear wheels and turn them by hand. Does it feel crunchy? If so you've
probably stripped some teeth off a sun gear. Don't drive it. Circulating
pieces of metal through your transaxle will make for expensive sounds. Hope
this helps.

Ian Salmon.

1981 Giulietta
1980 Alfetta GTV (bent)
1977 Alfasud Ti (still under restoration)