Re: The "classic" Alfa Pose

Bob Brady asks:

> Specifically, the "classic" pose is both rear wheels on the ground,
> tucked into the fender wells, and the front wheels pouncing, with
> the inner front in the air.  From what I've seen, most current GTVs
> don't lift the inner front tire.
>
> Any thoughts?

Sliding block rear suspension?  I have no idea how it works or even, to
any degree, what it looks like, but John Tipler's book on Giulia Coupes
hints at some of the effects that it had on the car's roll center.  Are
you using the sliding block, or have you stayed with Alfa's stock
T-shaped trunnion as a diff locater?  I'd guess that, since all the
Autodelta cars used the sliding-block rear and probably very few of the
later ones do, that it has something to do with that.

Reminds me: at the same tech session last Saturday, we got to paw over
some trick rear-suspension bits.  One piece replaces the T-shaped
trunnion with a solid bar that bolts across the chassis members,
removing the bushings at the outboard ends of the legs of the T.  There
was a rose-jointed (Heim jointed) member that connected from this solid
bar back to the diff, to locate it under acceleration and to provide a
pivot axis, but not to provide lateral location; that was provided by a
Panhard rod that bolted into the spare-tire well and the left side of
the axle.  Well-made pieces of metal; the Panhard rod in particular had
a bend in it to clear the diff housing and still link up with the axle.

- --Scott