Re: 101 vs 105 two questions

Actually, both sound like a bad idea. Even if it fits, the 1600 head would
probably lower the compression ratio. You might also have trouble sealing
the cylinders. I think the timing case is a different size, but I'm not
certain. It's a much easier proposition to put a 105 1600 head on a 101
1600 block. It works as-is.

You also don't want to upgrade the rear brakes unless the front have been
upgraded even more. Having rear brakes that are too powerful will make the
car spin out very easily. The best rear upgrade for a 101 car is to put in
a whole rear end from a later car. There is a set of brackets and spring
platforms you buy and weld on to a later Spider (105/115) rear end. That
way, you get LSD, and the later brakes, which are easier to get parts for.
If you do that, you had better go with the full front hub update to use
the late model front discs as well.