Re: 101 vs 105 two questions

Matt Danning asks two questions:

> 1.  What is involved in putting a 105 1600 head on a 101 1300 block?

A loss of power. :-)  Seriously -- when Autodelta was (or were, for UK
readers) developing the GTA, they found that going to the *smaller*
valve sizes of the 1300 led to an increase in power on the 1570cc GTA,
presumably because of increased charge intake velocity.  John Tipler's
book on the Giulia Coupes suggests that this may have been discovered by
accident, when someone put a 1300 head on a 1600 block and the car went
faster.

Putting the 1600 head on the 1300 block would most likely result in a
car almost undrivable at any RPM lower than probably 6000, because of
the valve size -- there'd be no inertial filling of the cylinders due to
the reduced charge velocity, at least not till the revs got high enough
that the air was moving quickly because of piston speed.

As for the braking question, no idea, sorry.  I'm somewhat familiar with
the disc-brake axles on 105-series cars, but I've never examined one
with drums.

- --Scott Fisher