RE: Gear lightening for transaxle cars

> <<without gaining one HP, you can probably shave 0.5 to 1 second in 0-60
just
> by having lighter gears and clutch.  Wanna bet?
> Jorge>>
>
> For sure Jorge, and smoke every VTECed, 5.0ed, and every other lesser
vehicle
> out there because you wouldn't have to
stop...wait...SHIFT...CRUNCH...going from
> 1st to 2nd (my 2 to 3 shift is also starting to grind a bit), let's not
even
> mention downshifts, ouch. But has anyone actually put this theory into
practice
> or no of anyone who has...

i've been holding off responding to the gear lightened transaxle question
because although i've had one done, i have yet to install it in the car.

i have had it done and driven a front transmissioned alfa, and the
transformation is pretty dramatic.  i had one built for the gtv6, and
hopefully will install it over the winter, but my understanding is that the
change is not quite so dramatic.

before i had the transaxle done i spoke with larry, at ape.  he commented
that his first impression was that it was a waste of time, but after a
couple of weeks he sort of found himself downshifting into first while
approaching traffic lights without really thinking too hard about it, so
he's quite pleased with the results after having driven it for a while.

doug sedon has had this done, and i believe he's happy with the results.

fwiw,

bs