164S suspension settings

I've been surprised at the postings on this subject:

>> I was looking at an 164 S yesterday (in quite good shape).My question is:
>> Is it normal for a suspension with no apparent flaws (no red right) to
>> display only minimal, almost imperceptible difference among the rides of
the
>> 2 modes?
>Good question. I have a 91 164S and I think I can tell the difference
>between the modes, but just barely. I've never had problems with the
>lights. Can anyone else claim there is a big, noticeable difference?

Yes.  On our new S the difference is immediately noticable unless you are
on the smoothest, flattest road you can find.  Any dips or bumps in the
road make it obvious which mode you're in.  The auto setting is softer than
our L, I think, and the sport setting is much firmer than the L.

Chris Lesher
Boulder CO