Re: Spider noise- '88 Spider?

Paul Steffy writes regarding his 88 Spider:

> Has anyone out there experienced a metal-on-metal type vibration noise as
>  they accelerate moderately?  The sound appears to originate somewhere in
>  front 1/2 of the car.  It happens mostly in 1st and 2nd gears.

Paul, you're request is most timely, as I have what sounds to be an identical
problem. Had it for the past several months. Didn't worry about it much,
since it was okay if I didn't accelerate hard in first and second. Now the
problem has extended to third and with milder acceleration. Maybe I'm just
more sensitive to the sound now, but I think it is somewhat worse.

The noise I get is very much like metal on metal and is most pronounced above
2500 rpm. I don't get the sound at all when revving with the clutch in or
when cruising or accelerating at the same rpms in 4th or 5th.

I do have a mild exhaust rattle that I can hear when someone else drives the
car away (which I don't allow to happen often) 8-). Don't think there is any
connection, since the rattle is mild and everything seems quite tight
underneath.

I am as anxious as Paul to find an answer to this one.

Bob Rice
Tampa
86 Spider