Re: Spider noise- '88 Spider?

Paul Steffy writes regarding his 88 Spider:

>Has anyone out there experienced a metal-on-metal type vibration noise as
>  they accelerate moderately?  The sound appears to originate somewhere in
>  front 1/2 of the car.  It happens mostly in 1st and 2nd gears.

<delurk>
It sounds as though it could be the same problem that affected my '74 GTV
2000: worn timing chain guides which allow the chain to flop against the
aluminium chain cover. Leaves nice little router marks on the inside of the
cover. On mine, it was noticeable between 2200 and 2800 rpm (not that it
spends much time down in that range).
aloha,
Andres Yver
Santa Fe, NM