temp. gauge + acceleration = screwy

Hi,
I'm back on the digest again, after a job change (yes!). I just noticed a
problem that Simon Phillips posted that I am having as well:

"The only problem is my temperature gauge. Whenever the car is idling it
reads a correct temperature. As soon as I apply the accelerator under load
(ie in gear) the gauge deflects to the left most position. If you have any
ideas /suggestions then please email me directly"

Mine doesn't drop back all the way, but nearly all the way. Could this
possibly indicate low coolant? Engine temperature has been normal when I'm
not accelerating. Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing what people have to
say.

Thanks
Chris Keen
'77 spider