Spider noise- '88 Spider?

Has anyone out there experienced a metal-on-metal type vibration noise as
they accelerate moderately?  The sound appears to originate somewhere in
front 1/2 of the car.  It happens mostly in 1st and 2nd gears.  It also
occurs when turning hard, and more when I have the weight of an additional
passenger.  Over a year ago, it sounded as though something was hitting
(possibly the fan when I crept up a very steep hill in San Diego, but I have
not had the experience of trying to recreate that problem.  It has been doing
this since I replaced the clutch and rebuilt the transmission (myself).
Exhaust parts with exception of catalytic converter are new.  The catalytic
converter did seem to have something loose when I shook it, but it seems to
work fine.  My hunches include possibly worn motor mounts (especially after
having the car up for a long time with the tranny out), gear train noise, or
???  I wish I could make the sound for you.  If you you make a long sustained
WRRRRRRR sound while stepping on your gas pedal under low gear torque, that
will approximate it adequately.  Thanks
Paul Steffy in Chico CA, '88 Spider Veloce