Re: alfa-digest V7 #1120

John Justus asked about oil system leak stoppers:

>  I was in the autoparts store the other day, and saw a bottle of stuff that
>  was said to stop oil leaks.  As it was about as viscous as water, I
wondered

>  how it could do anything. (Being of the old STP school of thought that a
>  thicker oil doesn't leak or burn.)
>
>  Does anyone have any idea how this stuff is reputed to work?  Does it hit
> air
>  and harden?

Well, John, I don't know how well they work, but you will never find me
putting any of that stuff into an engine of mine -- at least not if I intend
to keep it running for long. Consider that if a product is capable of
stopping oil from flowing through a hole to the outside world, that it can
also stop oil from flowing through holes to the _inside_ of the engine. Some
of the oil ports in the engine are relatively small and don't need a lot of
encouragement to clog. My recommendation is to forget these products. Buying
replacement oil is a lot cheaper than a replacement engine.

My two pennies.

Bob Rice
Tampa
86 Spider