Re: alfa-digest V7 #1120

<< My '88 Spider occasionally fails to start.  It cranks just fine,
 but it won't catch.  If I quit and come back in a few minutes,
 it usually starts fine.  Sometimes when I release the key, it
 will catch just at that moment.  This has been going on for years
 but has gradually reached the point where I don't trust the
 car to start when I need it to.

 <<It seems likely that the voltage drop from the starter is
 enough to keep some computer from turning on.>>

Since the 88 Spider also has L-Jet it might be the same problem as my 83
GTV-6 had just recently.  Check the wire coming from the fuse box to the
combi relay (the big double one) for continuity and a good connection.  Mine
turned out to be a frayed/loose connector in the fuse box.  Mechanic also
found a couple of others that looked suspect and repaired those as well.

My take is that if it worked before the new starter it should work after.
If anything the new started should draw less current.

Jerry in Houston