Re: alfa-digest V7 #1120

owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< My '88 Spider occasionally fails to start.  It cranks just fine,
 but it won't catch.  If I quit and come back in a few minutes,
 it usually starts fine.  Sometimes when I release the key, it
 will catch just at that moment.  This has been going on for years
 but has gradually reached the point where I don't trust the
 car to start when I need it to.

 It seems likely that the voltage drop from the starter is
 enough to keep some computer from turning on.  I've replaced
 the battery several times, but this hasn't helped.  My
 Alfa mechanic, Bob at Import Doctors in San Ramon, CA, says
 he's seen this in other cars (including his own) but he
 has no good solution.  He believes a transistor in one of
 the computers (forgot which one--ignition of FI) is failing
 to turn on because of the voltage drop.  A new computer is
 $1800, and a rebuilt one might still have a bad transistor
 because they bench test at full voltage.

 Has anybody found a solution to this problem?  Has anyone
 tried to track down this flaky transistor and replace it??

 Thanks for any suggestions...
 John

John
It could possible be the ignition switch going bad.  If it turns over but
does not catch until you release it then the switch contacts could be going
bad and power is not getting to the computer until you release it.  Much
cheeper than the computer. Check it out.

Stan
86 Spider
Columbus, GA