Re: Bosch electronic ignition for 105 series

> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 12:47:19 +1300
> From: "Graham Hilder" <graham.hilder@domain.elided>
> Subject: Bosch electronic ignition for 105 series
>
> Gidday Alfisti, especially Oz Alfisti Matthew and Warren. In Digest 106
> =
> Matt asked  asked about Australian Bosch electronic ignition systems for
> 105 series, and Warren described his use of an off the shelf Bosch one,
> =
> probably as used on camiras, but with the dog drive and shaft
> modified to suit 105.  Cost about $475, and includes distributor with =
> module attached, dizzy cap, leads, electronic coil.=20
> Now then, one of the many jobs on my wish-list is to convert my Alfetta
> =
> GTV and 105GTV to electronic ignition, and it's crossed my mind that the
> =
> Bosch system out of the Alfasud  might be adaptable. I imagine that
> you'd =
> need to make only the same 105 adaptations on those required in the =
> example above, i.e. dizzy drive mods. The advantage of the Alfasud =
> approach would be that our wrecking yards are full of rusting Suds (as =
> well as just-as-badly rusting Alfettas and 105s), so Sud Bosch systems =
> should be reasonably readily available at low cost (also has the benefit
> =
> of avoiding a part used on a ----gasp----- camera). Wonder if anyone's =
> done this Sud-to-Nord conversion at all please?=20

I looked at this fairly seriously - I had a Sud Bosch distributor and
brain box,
plus a Bosch points distributor.  There's a few reasons why it doesn't
work straight up:

The dog drive on the 'sud distributor is different to the Alfetta, plus
the shaft length of the distributor drive is different between the two.
This raises the question of whether you can transplant the electronics
from the 'sud distributor into the Alfetta distributor.  You *possibly*
can if you can work out how to dismantle the 'sud distributor without
destroying it.  As far as I can tell, the hall effect plate is wedded
to the 'sud shaft in such a fashion that you can't simply remove
it and put it on the Alfetta shaft.

I gave up after a month or so and bought a Crane XR700 optical system.
Works fine and there are lots of other people on the digest using them
to great effect.  The optical sensor looks a little flimsy but in
practice it is OK as long as you're careful when you button everything
back together (lots of little screws to lose, a bit fiddly to adjust
the first time).  The Crane system comes with "chopper" plates that
are a drop-in for the Alfetta (the model is even listed on the box).

The Camira system might be easier to get fitted than the 'sud system
if you're lucky about shaft lengths and dog drives (my guess is that the
shaft length might be OK but you'd have to swap over the dogs.  Never
seen
one of these though so it's just a guess).

Wreckers also like charging a fair bit of change for the electronic
bits from a 'sud over in Australia too - it may be the only thing
of value on the car after the body has rusted and the cam belts
have broken...

dave.

End of alfa-digest V7 #1120