re: lazy boot

In AD7-1118 Jacob Haagerup, with a lazy boot lid on his GT 1600 Junior, asks
"Is there a spring missing which should pop the lid like the bonnet or should
the two torsion bars (which are in place) do the popping? My workshop manual
doesn't mention a spring other than the torsion bars."

I would guess that the two torsion bars (105.02.56.172.00 on the 1750,
probably same for the junior) are tired with age- 25 years? and could be
removed, given a bit more twist, and be replaced. However, there ARE two
hairpin springs (1483.40.043) within the hinge links which might contribute
marginally to the lid-lifting. If Jacob has access to a parts-book it is
easier to see than to describe. One of those many cases where a parts book
can be at least as valuable as a shop manual.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.