Re: fuori giuoco, o slacciare lato destro

In AD7-1116 Will Owen pontificates, as is his wont, that "Offside is the left
side of a horse - the side from which you dismount - and nearside is, of
course, the right, or the side you park near the wall or hitching post. The
knockoff caps on the right side of the car would say "Nearside Undo," and
those on the left would say "Offside Undo" - - -"

The OED equally pontificates that 'near', as an adjective, "With reference to
animals or vehicles" means: "Left (as opposed to far, off, or right)" and
states further that "This use is based on the fact that horses or cattle are
commonly mounted, led, or approached from the left side, which is
consequently the one near to the person dealing with them". The OED (like
Merriam Webster) discusses "offside" only in terms of football, hockey, etc.

I find Will's argument unpersuasive, as I thought horses were parked
perpendicularly to the hitching post, rather than parallel-parked, and I
assume that I myself would probably dismount from whichever side the horse
chose, but would mount from whichever side I was near- but then I have never
done either.

Cassell's says nothing about 'nearside', but translates 'offside' as 'lato
destro' or, in football, 'fuori giuoco'. Any third opinions out there?

John H.