Re: Milano Shifting

In a message dated 10/25/1999 6:54:35 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< From: schuga@domain.elided
 Subject: Milano Shifting

 Hi all!

 I have some questions regarding the shifting of a '87 Milano.  For some
 reason, the shifting of my Milano is very laborious and hard.  It takes
 some effort to find the gears and does not shift smoothly like my
 father's GTV-6.  Once the gear is located, I have no problem engaging
 the gear.  Seems like the shifting mechanism is binding somewhere.  >>

It is most likely the piece at the transmission end of the long rod that runs
from the shift lever in the interior.  This piece is a tube with a lever on
it.  It fits over a section of the long rod.  There are two plastic sleeves
that separate the two parts and originally some grease.  The short section
with the lever is supposed to rotate on the long rod, but when dirt replaces
the grease  ... it stops turning freely.  The short section is held onto the
long rod by a pin that runs throughout cross wise .... not easy to push out.

The two plastic piece were about 25 cents each a couple of years ago from
Alfa.

I put a grease nipple on it when I put it back together.  The spot of grease
once a year keeps it working nicely.