Re: Digest submission -- alfa-digest V7 #1116

> Greetings.  I own a 1959 Spider Veloce that very much needs a re-spray.  I'm
> not interested in concourse authenticity but would like to have the car
> painted in a fashion that duplicates the color and "look" of the original as
> nearly as possible.   Some automotive archeology (including  a letter to the
> factory) suggests the car was originally white.  Does anyone have a paint
> code for this car?  White is pretty easy, so a modern, readily available
> equivalent that closely approximates the shade would be prefered.
>
> My paint/body guy says he normally sprays base coat/clear coat, but this
> doesn't give a very period look IMO.  Would a straight enamel more closely
> approximate the original look of the paint?  Lacquer would be great but I'm
> told it is not very durable and almost no one uses it any more as there are
> alternatives which are superior and give the same type of finish.
>
> Also, this particular car has a tonneau cover which from the looks of it was
> probably fitted very early in the car's life.  It has post studs (like the
> ones that secure an MGB's top) fitted across the dash and the rear deck to
> hold it in place.  The holes for these studs are very nicely finished.  Any
> chance this car came this way?  I've sure never seen a Guilietta with this
> cover.  If not, I'll probably fill the holes while the car is being
> resprayed, but that leaves the holes in the dash to contend with.  Thoughts?
>
> Finally, info on sourcing trunk and door weatherseal that fit well but need
> not be 100% original is needed.

The local dealer showed a restored 2000 Roadster (priced accordingly) --
one of the discrepancies notable on a quick walk-around was the paint --
clear-coat (in addition to other detail discrepancies -- I was able to
hand him some proper fasteners).  I believe the original finish was
enamel.  Check with restorers -- the new epoxies may be close, if not
clear-coated.

r.m.bies