Milano Shifting

Hi all!

I have some questions regarding the shifting of a '87 Milano.  For some
reason, the shifting of my Milano is very laborious and hard.  It takes
some effort to find the gears and does not shift smoothly like my
father's GTV-6.  Once the gear is located, I have no problem engaging
the gear.  Seems like the shifting mechanism is binding somewhere.

I have taken the shifting rod apart from the shifter and the shifter
moves freely without binding.  I have read the Milano workshop manual I
picked up from IAP, which is vague, and can not seem to locate any
mention of my problem.  Do I need to adjust the shifting linkage
somewhere?  The clutch seems to be fine.

Please advise.

Chip Schug
'91 164 L
'87 Milano