Re: Speeding tickets...

In a message dated 10/20/99 11:17:57 PM Central Daylight Time,
shempmodin@domain.elided writes:

<< How's this for a speeding ticket concept - several counties in Indiana are
offering a deal called "deferred prosecution".  If you get a ticket in one of
these counties, you contact the courthouse and ask about deferred
prosecution.  Essentially, you pay an additional fee and the ticket never
happened.

 It works like this:  say I get a speeding ticket in my Milano (highly
unlikely considering it's current, non-running state, but we're being
hypothetical).  The ticket would normally cost me, say, $80.  If I'm in a
deferred prosecution county, I can pay them the $80 ticket cost plus their
fee - we'll call it $30.  They hold the ticket and don't enter it into the
system so there are no points on my license and my insurance company doesn't
find out.  If a set period of time passes (usually 30-90 days, depending on
the county) and I don't get pulled over again, the ticket ceases to exist.
If I do get pulled over again, I get hit with both tickets.

 The very concept amuses me.  It's a legalized version of slipping a cop some
extra cash and him telling you to "slow it down from now on" - legalized
bribery.  But I must say I've used it - I'd rather pay a one-time fee to "the
man" than pay an insurance company more.

 - Paul Witek

In Illinois we have a similar system called "Court Supervision". A few years
ago it was linked to "drivers school" a classroom "reeducation course" for
sinners. This was a good way to reward police officers by paying them to
teach the classes, that is, run the movie. Now, in most jurisdictions, the
"school" has been dropped. The basic premise now is the local jurisdiction
gets their money and the offender gets off easy. Recently Illinois has had a
spate of Secretary of State (IL for DVM) office scandals involving bribes for
truck driver licenses, money going into the then Sec. of State now governor's
campaign fund. A few of the bribers have gotten court supervision on
subsequent tickets, as did a truck driver who blew a railroad gate and
derailed an Amtrak train killing around twelve people.

John Katos