Speeding tickets...

How's this for a speeding ticket concept - several counties in Indiana are offering a deal called "deferred prosecution".  If you get a ticket in one of these counties, you contact the courthouse and ask about deferred prosecution.  Essentially, you pay an additional fee and the ticket never happened.

It works like this:  say I get a speeding ticket in my Milano (highly unlikely considering it's current, non-running state, but we're being hypothetical).  The ticket would normally cost me, say, $80.  If I'm in a deferred prosecution county, I can pay them the $80 ticket cost plus their fee - we'll call it $30.  They hold the ticket and don't enter it into the system so there are no points on my license and my insurance company doesn't find out.  If a set period of time passes (usually 30-90 days, depending on the county) and I don't get pulled over again, the ticket ceases to exist.  If I do get pulled over again, I get hit with both tickets.

The very concept amuses me.  It's a legalized version of slipping a cop some extra cash and him telling you to "slow it down from now on" - legalized bribery.  But I must say I've used it - I'd rather pay a one-time fee to "the man" than pay an insurance company more.

- - Paul Witek