V6 starter

Anyone have any brilliarnt ideas on how to exchange starters?

Most particularly, how to deal with the heat-shield?

I assume most of the bolts can be styruggled off/out, and it looks like
with the block bracket of the motor mount and oil filter removed, the
starter may slide forward -- if the heat-shield were out of the way.  I
suspect that in struggling that in, I bent something of the solenoid or
starter, and that's why it does not engage the ring-gear.

r.m.bies