Re: Hastings vs. Deves Rings?

At 9:56 PM 10/13/99, Kevin Trent wrote:
>In ADV7#1087, Frank Formeister asserts:
>
>>As far as rings go, Hastings (http://www.hastingsmfg.com/ ), can get you
>what
>>you want w/o a middle man and they're a good set for a street car.  I
>>wouldn't recommend or even use a set of Deves rings even if they were free.
>>Ask me how I know!
>
>Ok, I'd like to know.   Over the years I've built one 1750 and two 2000
>engines with Deves rings and haven't had a problem (that I'm aware of), but
> I'm going to do do another 2000 this winter, and I was thinking about
>trying the Hastings.   What are the pros and cons of these two
>alternatives?   Is one type better for certain applications?   Why is one
>better than the other?    Thanks!
>
>KCT
>Knoxville, TN

I agree with the negative comment on the Deves rings, do not know much
about the Hastings ones. FAR to much tension of the oil ring rails on Deves
rings, tho. I think a discussion as to what TYPE of ring to use in each of
the three grooves would be more to the point than a brand name discussion.

Top groove--ductile iron, chromed face, barrel face

Scraper groove--Total Seal

Oil groove-

- -I think the correct generic style designation for my first oil ring choice
is something like 3MD40. This style oil ring has an H shaped section
(oriented horizontally) with a coil spring expander to the inside, it is
cast iron, and hopefully it has chrome plating on the outer faces of the
two rails where they rub on the bore. This style of oil ring is commonly
seen in Porsche flat sixes and heavy duty diesels.

My second choice ring type for the oil groove would be a three piece Sealed
Power style oil ring .(I don't recall the style number for these).

Regards, Greg

End of alfa-digest V7 #1094