Re: Spider Brake question

The travel necessary is a matter of the design of the brake master
cylinder and whether the pedal housing has excessive wear in the pivot
linkage. Wear in the pedal housing linkage is rare. My Spider (new master
cylinder installed) has virtually no play at all when you press the pedal
without the engine running - it's solidly on the hydraulics after only a
couple of mm - but in normal operation with the servo boost operating, it
has about 3" of 'play' before the pedal comes hard. It's a little more
travel then my '85 Toyota MR2 has when compared similarly, but not by
much.

I suspect the cars you're comparing against have a little less servo boost
and a master cylinder with somewhat shorter travel.

Godfrey