'96 Spider to California

Godfrey,
The regulations I am referring to are in the Federal Register Vol. 64, No.
134, under DOT, NHTSA, 49CFR Part 591.  They do not make any reference to
registration in a particular state, they list the documentation necessary to
import, register, and drive for up to 2500 miles, certain types of cars on
public roads.  The wording is surprisingly vague and seems to imply a fair
amount of interaction with the NHTSA during the process.
What appears to be the most important restriction is the one stating that
one must submit a statement that the car meets EPA regs, to do this one must
know what they are, hence my question concerning CA emissions.

JR