Emissions...

While I hate to be overly pushy about emissions, I am rather opinionated...
While it is possible to pass a state emissions test without catalysts (with
the exception of a few states), the reason is that the test is REALLY EASY.

Most state "sniffer" test limits are around that of a very good running
engine without cats, so people get the misconception that the catalysts are
not needed.  The cat does quite a lot- for '80's vintages, probably 75-85%
cleanup, early 90's- 85-95% cleanup, mid 90's 95-98% cleanup.  Future?  even
better.

Passing the sniffer test is one thing, doing it right, sometimes another...

Eric Storhok
Advanced Powertrain Engineering
Ford Motor Company