Re: GTV6 AC/compressor questions

Chris,

Thank you for your answers. I think the A/C was the same in Europe and in
the US (at least the heater box looks the same and It also had the York
compressor). The tropic air is probably something specific to the US, since
my A/C comes from an '86 GTV6, and there is no sign of second evaporator/fan
(perhaps because Switzerland is not what one would call a "tropical"
country...).
Concerning the R12, it is getting more and more difficult to find, since it
is no more produced. Anyway, this is not the point, and since sooner or
later it will be practically impossible to find, I want to do the conversion
now, as my A/C is out of the car.

By the way, I think I found an interesting alternative for the compressor.
It is a Seiki-Seiko from, I think, a 155, and it just needs a minor
modification to fit into the 75/Milano brackets. It would also be necessary
to replace the clutch, since the belt is different. The good thing, is that
it is a R134 compressor, and it should make the conversion easier. The only
thing I would need to know is if the filter/dryer is compatible with R134.

And finally, I would like to install the A/C this week-end, so could someone
give me some answer about the following question?

>-what is the grey tube coming from the temperature regulator?
>I assumed it was a fluidic temperature sensor, but it comes out of >the
>heater box, and it looks like it should touch the copper coil >attached to
>the heater valve, and as far as I understand, the >temperature sensor of an
>AC system should touch a cold part of the >system?!
>So basically, what are these grey tube and copper coil for, and where
> >should they go?

Cheers
Marc, Switzerland
'85 GTV6 "Grand-Prix"