re: '96 Spider to California

Cars registered in California must meet both EPA and CARB emissions
certification standards. A statement to that effect is insufficient
without certification inspection as the results of that are fed directly
to the DMV's computers to enable issuance of the registration plates. I'm
not sure which regulations you're looking at, but I know that you will not
be able to obtain a California registration without having had your car
pass an emissions certification test. The emissions certification test can
be waived based upon a very narrow set of possible circumstances, but it's
pretty unusual nowadays.

Cars brought in for show and display only are trailered to where they are
shown. They are not legal to drive on public roads. Cars which have not
yet had an emissions test and registration plate issued can be driven on
public roads, presuming they are properly insured, by obtaining a limited
time (usually one day) temporaray road use permit.

If there's one thing the Cal DMV is good at it's making sure that you are
aggravated to the maximum possible extent ...

Godfrey