RE: '96 Spider to California

> Cars brought in for show and display only are trailered to where they are
> shown. They are not legal to drive on public roads. Cars which have not
> yet had an emissions test and registration plate issued can be driven on
> public roads, presuming they are properly insured, by obtaining a limited
> time (usually one day) temporaray road use permit.

actually, it's a 'single trip' permit.  when mg-boy drove the ape spider
from california to mass a couple of years ago, we looked into this.  they
told us 'one trip', and we asked if that meant cross town or cross country.
the response was we could go wherever we wanted, it was good for 'one trip'
(the definition of a trip seemed to be left to us).

now, mg-boy got the permit, was left to fill in the dates himself (which he
neglected to do), and drove approximately 90 miles before getting stranded
in sacramento and abandoning the car (which was technically mine at the
time) at barbers shop.  on another boondoggle, er, uh, critical business
trip a few weeks later, he picked it up and continued his drive home, only
to be pulled over by a chp officer.

he explained what he was doing, the chp officer kindly asked him to fill in
the dates on the permit, and he was sent on his way - don't see why all you
californians are always complaining, this seemed perfectly reasonable to me.

so anyhow, i suppose it all depends on how you define 'trip' - one trip
across town, one year long trip to the usa, or one trip through life,
technically you could drive for quite a while on one of these permits ;)

fwiw,

bs