RE: Where can I find a good clutch replacement procedure?

> Well, I've bought all the parts to do a clutch replacement on my 79
spider,
> but alas, I have been unable to find a good service manual that discusses
> how to pull the engine and replace the clutch. (I was told by the parts
> seller that I need to pull engine/trans as a unit.) I bought a CD-ROM that

you do not need to pull the engine and tranny as a unit.  you do not need to
pull the engine at all.  i'd say that if the engine has some miles on it and
there's a chance you'll want to change some seals then maybe it's worth
while to pull the motor, otherwise i'd do the job from underneath.

the easiest way i've found to get at the clutch is to remove the tranny from
underneath.  for cars that have no mechanical engine fan, you can actually
tilt the motor far enough so that you can get at all the engine/transmission
hardware (including the starter) from underneath.  this way is by far the
easiest if you've got a lift, and it may still be the easiest lying on your
back.

if you're inclined to go at things from the top, you can pull the motor by
itself or with the tranny.  true, the engine/tranny hardware can be a bit of
a pita to access, however imho it's less of a pain than removing the center
console, which you have to do to get the tranny out.

look at some of the other jobs you need to do while you have things apart -
do you need transmission shift boots?  rear engine seal (i'd definitely do
that while you have things apart)?  motor mounts?

make a list of things you might want to address, then use that list to
determine the easiest combination of things to take apart.

don't forget to change the throwout bearing.

as for instructions on specific torques and clutch alignment, i'll leave
that to someone who might have the figures in hand..

hope this helps,

bs