re: '96 Spider to California

Sounds easy, in theory, but California's emissions inspection is
not simply a performance test. The DMV relies upon codes in the
17 digit VIN to determine whether a particular year and model car
has been through the California emissions certification testing.
The emissions statuates include more than just engine condition,
they also regulate the fuel system (evaporative emissions
hardware) and other components. The emissions testing is three
phase:
 - inspection :is all the regulated equipment installed?
 - function   :is all the regulated equipment functional?
 - performance:does the engine meet the test criteria under the
   testing cycle?

If the particular make and model car has not been through the Cal
Emissions Certification, the DMV emissions shops do not have a
setup to test against. Then you have to jump through some fairly
nasty hoops to get a car to comply. Some cars simply never will.

Specials and such are often risky projects due to this nonsense.

Godfrey