It's working so well...

Not been too active on the list, too much work plus a bit of cold/flu has
eaten into my A-D reading and responding time. Yesterday I managed to nip
into the ARA Autocross just as things were closing up for a quick visit,
saying hi to Henrik and Scott and the other Alfa loons. Good to see
y'all!

FrankenSpider has been through another one of those expensive upgrading
visits to the shop. A new transmission was built up on the original '79
transmission by Tom Sahines with new synchros, '82 bell housing (for the
Bosch pickups) and speedo gearing (for the 4.10 rear), and lightened
gears. When I had it installed, I had a few details fixed and improved at
the same time - new front and rear engine seals, new water pump, new
clutch slave and connecting hydraulic pipe, replaced the cracking
driveline donut, etc etc. Altogether a mite bit expensive but ...

Wow! Shifting is exceptionally good! Since I've never owned a new Alfa
Romeo Spider, I was a little uncertain of the feel of the shifter: it
seemed a bit notchier than I expected. That sensation has slowly passed.
The great thing is that I can now flick it into the correct gear for a
corner very easily and quickly, 4th to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd, even 2nd to 1st
and up the gears too, with neither grinding nor balking. Even engaging
first at a standstill from the neutral gate is easy as can be without
grinding.

So far, FrankenSpider has turned about 5500 miles since I put it on the
road. It continues to improve with each step along the way. It's proving
to be reliable, economical on gas and oil, and a blast to drive. Yes,
it's been an expensive project ... and I haven't refurbished the interior
yet either. But I'm pleased with the results.

Next things to think about coming up are wheels/tires and possibly a
cylinder head porting job with hotter camshafts...

It never ends, does it? :)

Godfrey
 - I pay FrankenSpider's bills.