Relaxed import rules

Regarding Colin Cobb's post about import rules (similar in many respects to an
earlier post about the same topic):

It would seem that we are getting closer and closer to a cross-licensing
agreement that will allow at least individuals to import whatever car they like
to the US.

It is my own (admittedly only somewhat-informed) opinion that the only way we'll
get Alfas over here again is the same way they started coming over more than 40
years ago... through a privateer importer.

It would seem there would be a real business opportunity in today's "wired"
world for an entrepreneur to create a "niche dealership" network. The network
would sell, and support, X number of small or not imported car lines (wouldn't
just have to be Alfa... the French and English have some interesting cars that
don't make it here either). A really clever operation might try co-opting the
best local maintenance shops for upkeep.