Re: Another reason never to reuse a V6 tensioner

McNeon@domain.elided writes...

> A couple of weeks back I noticed that my 164 timing belt was getting
oiled.
> The belt and tensioner were replaced only about 20,000 miles ago, so  I

> thought I'd replace some leaky seals, slap on a new belt, and  replace
the
> tensioner next time.
>
> As I started to reassemble the engine I happened to look closely at
the
> tensioner, which I had examined in passing when I took it off.  There's
> little spring, located right behind the idler wheel, which is  attached
to the
> thermostatic element. From the relative size of the two springs, I
figure
> this one probably contributes 5-10% to the total tension. This  smaller
spring
> was broken in two.

Bob provides very good advice.  These so-called "bullet-proof" mechnical
tensioners are cheap crap and they are failing at an alarming rate.  The
good news is that even when they fail, they *usually* still provide
adequate tension to prevent the belt from skipping the dreaded second
tooth.

Replace the tensioner EVERY time the timing belt is changed or (better
yet), go back to the old style tensioner.  Also note that the plug used
to block off the original oil feed often leaks.  Re-seat it using some
Wurth Orange flange sealant or Super duty RTV.

Brad Anesi
'91 Project 164Q 5-speed