Another reason never to reuse a V6 tensioner

A couple of weeks back I noticed that my 164 timing belt was getting oiled.
The belt and tensioner were replaced only about 20,000 miles ago, so I
thought I'd replace some leaky seals, slap on a new belt, and replace the
tensioner next time.

As I started to reassemble the engine I happened to look closely at the
tensioner, which I had examined in passing when I took it off. There's a
little spring, located right behind the idler wheel, which is attached to the
thermostatic element. From the relative size of the two springs, I figure
this one probably contributes 5-10% to the total tension. This smaller spring
was broken in two.

The fault was almost invisible to the naked eye, since the spring's tension
was pressing the broken ends together. I don't think the tensioner was in
danger of dumping the belt, but it certainly would not perform to factory
specs, either.

One more thing to look out for.

Bob McKeown
Nashville, TN