Re: locked out!

At 1:06 PM -0400 9/22/99, alfa-digest wrote:
>Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 8:05:39 -0400
>From: "Robert W. Murphy" <rmurphy@domain.elided>
>Subject: locked out!
>
>This morning I couldn't unlock the driver's side door on my 90 spider.  I
>tried at least 20 times turning  and turning the key with no luck.  I finally
>had to crawl thru the passenger door to open the driver's door.  Anybody know
>what's going on?  Is there a inherent problem with the door latch/lock
>assembly?  I've noticed over the last few weeks that the door was getting
>harder and harder to unlock.  Sometimes I had to twist the key 5 or 6 times in
>quick succession to get the door unlock.  And sometimes I had to turn the key
>and lift the latch to get it to unlock and open.  Now I can't even get in.
>Someone please help.
>
>TIA,
>Rob Murphy
>Coral Springs, FL

Rob--

I'm not sure what the problem is but but when you get it fixed, you
might want to take the following advice.

I used to have discussions with my brother because he always locked
his Miata (yes he's a wimp) and I never lock my spyder. One day he
came out to his supposedly secure parking lot and found his roof
slashed and an envelope that he had left on the seat open and the
papers scattered.  There was nothing of value worth taking.  However,
$ 800 ($500 deductible) later he no longer locked his car.

I use a club (easily beaten by someone who wants to remove it but it
was a gift from my son) and a detachable faceplate radio.  I do not
lock my glove compartment, and I never keep anything of value or that
might even look like it has value in the car.  I've been doing this
for years, and I've never had a problem, and I often park in the city.

Good luck,
Fred
89 spyder
88 Milano 3.0 (hit in the rear and for sale)