Re: Wheel Stud's vs Bolts

>Hi all,
>
>I am wanting to change the wheel "bolt" setup on my Alfasud to wheel
>stud's and nuts (so you can get the wheels on more quickly during
>service).
>
>Now, I assumed we could get some threaded rods of the correct length,
>and stick them in the hub. Then use wheel nuts to hold the wheel on. I
>can't see any problems with this, but someone said I should get the hubs
>redrilled and put a "spline" in for the stud's? Is this really required?
>
>regards,
>Jeremy

I seriously doubt that you could buy threaded rod of a high enough strength
grade to be even reasonably safeStuds intended for the purpose, maybe.
But--dirlling out the threads and getting studs with a head on the inside
end is THE right way to go. You do NOT need to spline the redrilled holes.
Just ream them to a size slightly larger than the minor diameter of the
(very fine) splines on the "studs" you buy, and drive or press the studs
into the reamed holes.

DO NOT try to drive the studs in with the hubs on the car--you will need to
beat hard enough to likely damage the wheel bearings, etc.

Greg