Wheel Stud's vs Bolts

Hi all,

I am wanting to change the wheel "bolt" setup on my Alfasud to wheel
stud's and nuts (so you can get the wheels on more quickly during
service).

Now, I assumed we could get some threaded rods of the correct length,
and stick them in the hub. Then use wheel nuts to hold the wheel on. I
can't see any problems with this, but someone said I should get the hubs
redrilled and put a "spline" in for the stud's? Is this really required?

regards,
Jeremy