RE: stripped threads on doors

>A rivet nut gun allows you to use bolts and machine screws
>where you never could before. It looks and works much like
>a pop rivet gun, but instead of setting rivets, it sets
>threaded inserts. You simply drill a hole in the base panel
>and insert a threaded insert nut using the rivet nut gun. The
>insert nuts have a flange on the top and the tool causes the
>insert to expand and grip the sheet metal.

You can get a rivet nut gun a heck of alot cheaper than that.  I co-own a
small company and one of the products we manufacture uses a metal plate
attached to the rim inside a portable case.  We use rivet nuts as the most
'clean' way of attaching the plate to the lip.  We purchased two rivet nut
guns from a local fastener wholesaler for $25 each.

I would concur not to use these in any location where the part(s) will be
under stress.  Although the rivet nuts hold pretty well, they can be pulled
out.

Also, believe me when I say this from experience, buy ALOT more rivet nuts
than you need and do a bunch of practicing on some scrap metal before you
try it on your car.  I don't do this work myself; my manufacturing person
does it and even he has screwed some up after years of experience.  He's
gotten into the practice of doing a few test rivets on scrap metal before
he works on a piece of equipment he's building.  He learned that the hard
way by screwing up a custom case he was working on....

I can't remember the name of the manufacturer of these things off the top
of my head, sorry, but there are several manufacturers out there.

Brian Kennedy
'91 Spider Veloce
Columbus, Ohio area