RE: using a pyrometer

> what I would like to know is this:  assuming I had access to a pyrometer,
> what is the procedure for using it to set up the car?  I assume the idea
is
> to get an even temp across the whole tread - meaning that the whole tread
> contact patch was being used efficiently.  but what effect does tyre
> pressure have?  when do I change pressure, and when do I adjust camber?
> what effect on the temp readings does toe in and caster have?

basically, you take temps on all four tires - inner, center, and outer.  you
adjust camber by observing the difference across the tire - if it's linear,
but the temp varies from inner to outer, then you need to adjust camber.  if
the inner and outer are the same, but the center is higher (or lower), then
you need to adjust tire pressure.

> what about adjusting the corner weights?  surely if you are serious, then
> you need to do that first.

using the pyrometer, you measure temps on all four tires.  if any one is
warmer (or cooler) than the others, you might have a loading problem.

this is tricky, as you need to get quick temp readings.  also, this can vary
from track to track.

> what I would like to see is all the gurus on the digest put their heads
> together and come up with a basic procedure - a set of steps that you
should
> follow to set up your car for best performance.  maybe include things like
> how to know when your springs are too hard or too soft, or your anti-roll
> bars too big or too small.

springs and roll bars have been discussed in length on the digest in the
past.  i'd seriously recommend buying a suspension book - i like the one by
puhn.  there's enough behind this discussion to fill a good book...

later,

bs