A few questions to the collective...

Hello,

As some of you may remember a few weeks past, I had found a new Alfa to
buy after selling my 67 ALFA GTjr Vintage racer.  In mid August, I made
the trip to SD, CAL. to pickup the 63 Giulia Spider previously owned by
Dave De Rosier of the SD Alfa Club and a truly nice person. I had the
honor of meeting Dave's father Paul who is a true Alfisti. Paul's 72
Berlina is a treasure and Dave's 69 GTV will be a sweet car for the next
owner. Dave says he has no time to devote to the Alfas, but I think he
is building the war chest for the GTA up in La Jolla.

The car is as represented, right down to the paint which needs a bare
metal, redo, but oh! what a sweet little car. After spending part of
Saturday and Sunday at the PPIR (RMVR) Vintage races watching some real
nice Alfas race (including my old 67 GTjr), I had the time today to take
a good run in the Spider on some of Colorado's back rounds (paved,
narrow, twisty and fun).  The Spider needed a little Italian tune-up to
put the correct color on the tail-pipe and I needed to see how the car
was holding temps and oil pressure. All are fine, but like everything, I
will tweak here and there but keep the car as near original as possible.

But I digress, my questions.

Currently the Spider is running some very old Pirelli Cinturato CN36
175x70xHR15.  It needs new skins, but the suppliers in Colorado cannot
find any 175x70x15 anything.  The best I have found is a set of
185x65x15 HR by a decent tire maker. These will be fitted to the stock
steel wheels.

What have the Giulia/Giulietta owners been doing for decent 15" tires?
Any bad experiences using a 65 tire on the 4.5 inch steel wheels?

What Alloy wheels have been fitted in 15" to the car without disturbing
the original look of the Spider. Any suggestions of a period wheel that
I should be trying to find or a more current wheel like Panasport (if
they will fit around the brake drum)?

Also, I will be working on the 3 shoe brakes in the next few weeks, I
have heard these are particularly difficult. The car needs the wheel
cylinders redone on the left front. Dave fixed the right front prior to
my picking up the car. Thoughts, suggestions?

Lastly, what were the true Alfa red colours mixed on the 63 Giulia
Spider? I'm sure someone can point me to the right resource on the web
to do some colour matching or can refer to an old digest post or your
owners manual. The car is currently red with a slight orange cast (very
subtle). It was repainted in 1975 but put on a little heavy.

Thanks to all in advance, please reply off digest, if appropriate.
D..
- --
Don Suiter - 63 Giulia Spider
ACOC Webmaster - http://www.csd.net/~suiter/acoc.html