London to Paris

AlfaBill wrote:
>>Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 05:10:38 -0700
>>From: Alfa Romeo Search and Rescue Society <alfabill@domain.elided>
>>Subject: London to Paris
>>
>>Anyone have suggestions regarding bus or other transport to Paris from
>>either London or the coast? We would only have 1 day but it's at least a
>>taste.

I'm in London for the summer and I've enjoyed many excursions like the one
you're planning.  If you're going for a few days and will be visiting cities
then forget a car - take the train.  Your best bet by far for London-Paris is to
take the Eurostar "bullet train" from London Waterloo to Paris Gare du Nord.
>From there all of Paris is easily accessible through a cheap and fast (and
unbearably hot in summer) metro system.  The Eurostar takes just under three
hours, and there's a train at least every hour, and every half hour at peak
periods.  You can leave London at 6:20 AM (if you really wanted to) and be in
Paris by 10:20 (one hour time difference).  Then you could take the last train
back from Paris at 9:13 PM and be back in London at 11:15 PM.
Book tickets online + all the rest at http://www.eurostar.co.uk/

Now for my question.  I am planning to visit my folks in Italy and do some back
country touring.  Can anybody recommend a car rental agency in Rome that will
commit to renting an Alfa (any kind really) without trying to stick me with a
Fiat Punto at the last minute?  Preferably at Fiumicino airport or somewhere on
the Cassia Nuova (for those Romans out there).  Oh yeah - never bothered to get
an Italian driver's license, only US, so is that going to be a problem?

Carlo Cardilli
"carless in London pining for '86 Spider Quad"