Re: London to Paris

Bill,

Why not look into the Eurostar (chunnel train)? Leaves from Waterloo
station, downtown London, arrives at Gare Nord, Paris, with perhaps a
stop or two in between (depends on which train you take).  Takes about
three hours, one way.  They run fairly often, and as you might expect,
to accomodate business people they leave early in the AM, allowing for
meetings (or perhaps a nice lunch), then return so you're back in London
in time for a pint before the pubs close.

We actually went the other way a couple years ago, Paris to
London. Great ride, and in keeping with the Alfa content - FAST -
as well. I really don't recall the rates - we went first class
to treat ourselves and had a wonderful lunch, complete with
champagne - but of course all class arrive at the same time.
Allow a little extra time on either end to allow for customs etc.

http://www.eurostar.com/

You may be able to find better rates on other sites, including

http://www.raileurope.com/us/

John