RE: GTV-6 rear view mirror

>From: "C.M. Smith" <cmsmith@domain.elided>
>Subject: Rear view mirror and rear ended GTV6

>Hi Jerry from Houston,

>Just a stab in the dark, but the mirror on my SAAB 9000 (86) "snaps" off
>also, without damaging the mirror or the mounting. Have a look and see if
>there are two relatively heavy straight spring wires in the mirror mounting
>stem or on the windshield frame that are intended to straddle a screw head
>or similar mounting point on the windshield frame (or the mirror stem if
>reversed on ALFAs). I have no idea what I'm talking about except to alert
>you to the possibility that all may not be lost. Some "breakaway" mirrors
>can be re installed relatively easily, e.g. the glue to the windshield
>models can be reattached with fresh glue, some breakaways actually just
>snap on and off (very stiff mounting so it's not easy to snap back on.
?Michael Smith
>Calgary, Alberta
>Canada
>91 Alfa 164L, White, original owner

Mike, if only it were so.  I was actually surprised that is is not a "break
away".  At the lower gimble joint, right on the top of the mirror, there are
two sheet metal type screws that go into a metal piece on the under side of
the plastic housing. This gimbal, screws, and a big chunk of the plastic
shell of the mirror remain firmly mounted to the windshield.  The rest of
the mirror, sans a big chunk of plastic is lying on the passenger seat.  I
might be able to lather in some plastic cement or something, but since the
other guy is paying I am looking for a complete replacement. I find it
amazing how much I miss, and as such use, that rear view mirror.

Thanks for helping...

Jerry in Houston