re: Monterey notes

Must have been awesome to be there.  I asked myself how I would choose
between next year's F1 race at indy and Monterey.  I think I might opt
for Monterey.

I watched the coverage on Speedvision, but was pretty disappointed.  Did
anyone else watch?  70% of the coverage seemed to be just the lead cars
of each race, or whatever car had Speedvision personnel in it.  The
remaining 30% was pre-recorded "historical moments."  There were so many
fascinating cars in the field which I only saw when they happened to be
in the background of the camera.  Coverage of Alfas was prominent in the
pre-war races because those Alfas were at the front of the pack.  Many
other races had Alfas listed on the roster, but were rarely seen.  By
the way, why were the GTZs and GTA in the race that Speedvision listed
as 2200cc and above?  No wonder they were not at the front of the
field.  The F1 race at the end of the day on Saturday had an Alfa that
got 3rd place, but it never even made it on film.

Overall, I was pretty disappointed.  Not just because they didn't
highlight my favorite Alfas, but also because of all the other amazing
cars that they ignored.  Often, I would see a blur of a fantastic car
and say, "Wow, what was that?!?," but the coverage never gave me any
clues.  I'll just have to see it in person next year.

- -Rod Van Koughnet
Tulsa, OK