Re: trimming rain gutters

In AD7-1K Andrew Watry writes "Regarding shaving the rain gutters of an
Alfetta, discussed earlier this week, I would think that the welded-flange
nature of the rain gutter would impart strength to the body.  In fact, isn't
that how the body pieces are held together?  If you cut that flange off, are
the remaining body pieces still welded together?"

Reasonable concern, but most of the depth-of-section of the two pieces would
remain, and the examples I have seen illustrated of gutter-shaving involved a
continuous seam weld of the two pieces. In the factory-built cars there are
spot-welds, with variable spaces between the spots; a Sport Sedan I just
measured had a spot-weld every 1.25 to 1.5 inches, with enough random
variation that I infer it was built the old-fashioned way, not by robots, and
in my experience the strength of manual spot welds can be quite variable. The
continuous seam weld of the shaved gutter would probably be considerably
stronger, if done by someone who knew what he was doing.

One would not grind off the entire gutter before starting the weld; If I were
doing it I would cut back a quarter-inch slot to the desired final contour
between spot welds and tack the two components together often enough to
maintain the initial strength at all stages, then cut back between the new
tack-welds and seam weld short sections one at a time until the full length
was seam-welded. If doing it myself I would run my learning-curve on as many
parts-car bodies as it took to be sure of myself, and then not get cocky on
the one that counts. Local heat and expansion are the cause of ripples; the
one time I watched something like this done the bodyman worked an inch at a
time, with asbestos paste to localize heat, his S.O. cooling the metal with
damp towels, and leaving cool-down time between each inch.

If in doubt, check with the better local kustom kar body shops. The rod &
custom crowd have a lot of good tricks in their repertoire. Just don't annoy
them with your funny furin car and a superior attitude; some of them can bite.

John H.