trimming rain gutters

Regarding shaving the rain gutters of an Alfetta, discussed earlier this
week, I would think that the welded-flange nature of the rain gutter would
impart strength to the body.  In fact, isn't that how the body pieces are
held together?  If you cut that flange off, are the remaining body pieces
still welded together?  I think that's how it is on the Bertone GTV.  Seems
to me there's a row of spot welds along there, as on the GTA there is a row
of rivets.

Andrew Watry