Re: Alfa 166 Sighting in NY & other Rumors

I'd buy a 156 despite having just bought a new Passat wagon for my
wife, Jane, and if you knew Jane you'd know that I must not have
enough stress in my life. Three Alfas? Dave Mericle has commented
before about Alfisti being cheap, etc. but we have numerous 164s in
the NWARC. I think Dave does a disservice although a small one by
keeping up this theme. Obviously Alfa would need to attract new
customers but with a great car and favorable press response I think
they have a good shot at success in the US.

The short answer to this would be the question "How many of those 164s were bought new?" - but that's too easy.  Anyway, Dave Mericle was simply reiterating statements made by FIAT executives and the Italian automotive press regarding the likelyhood of Alfa Romeo's return to the US market. FIAT, above all else is a business.  Consequently, if there were a reasonable return on there dollar they would be here (ironic, considering the company's push into Eastern Europe in recent years.....).

A biography of Agnelli was published in 1987 which included a chapter on the marque's byzintine takeover by FIAT ("The Alfa Affair").  It was, perhaps, the best $1 (price paid) they had ever spent.  You might want to read this book to get a better understanding of the business mentality involved here.  Or then again, you could always write a nasty note to Agnelli.....
Gary W. Patitz
Boeing Phantom Works Seattle
Program Management
206-662-0307     206-655-7349