Alfa Corse badges and 156 US potential

In the last Digest Jay wrote -

"In a way, I may agree with most of Dave Mericle's points on the poor
prospects of having US 156s.  But I don't think American Alfisti are
all that cheap,  I think they are quicker at ascertaining market value
for a car than others, or rather, would not pay more than market
value.  For example, what is the current market on GTV6s and Milanos?
 Damn low, wherever one looks.  Its a good thing the Alfisti and
Digesti are snapping them up instead of allowing them to be crushed.
Let's look at it this way:   since Alfa (or Flea aht)  will not
return, then all the American Alfisti are actively creating a living,
dynamic museum for the marque.  And if thatso, then, heck,  shouldn't
we get a little more support from Alfa in terms of parts
availability??

As far as the 156 goes,  Dave, it will have to be a case of:  Show me
the Car,  then, I will show you the Money."

Dave Mericle's assessment of FIAT's position regarding Alfa Romeo's return is hard to debate if one were to take into account the sales numbers in North America during its tenure here. "Show me the money" is rather flippant when you consider dwindling sales of the marque contributed to its decline and departure from our shores.  Yes, Alfa was partly to blame for its miscalculation of the American marketplace.  On the other hand, the second hand market for the cars by enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike contributed little to the sale of new models. I worked at an Alfa dealership during the Milano period, and people were not exactly breaking the doors down to buy a new ('86) GTV6, Milano, or spider. Even if the marque returned, and the continually shrinking base of Alfisti all bought a new 156, it would be a mere blip on the FIAT corporate sales chart.

As for parts, they have never been more plentiful.  We are still enjoying a wealth of new old stock parts created by the boom of the classic car market in the late 1980's.  If you can not find the parts you are looking for, you probably shopping in all the wrong places.  "Show me the Money" indeed....yeah right....

Gary W. Patitz
Boeing Phantom Works Seattle
Program Management
206-662-0307     206-655-7349